Finally, I have my triangle quilt photographed and ready to show off! I finished this one over a month ago, but couldn't bribe anyone to help me take the pictures and finally my husband agreed. You would think I was asking for a kidney. Good grief. This quilt was started as part of The Triangle Quilt along hosted by The Sassy Quilter. i joined in around mid-March, and followed along pretty well, except when it came time for the final link up. I didn't have my binding finished, I missed the deadline by one day. Thankfully, Paula held a special late-finishers link up, and that is what I will be linking up to today.
This quilt was made with the fabric line, Indian Summer by Sarah Watson for Art Gallery fabrics. I love this line, it is just "so me!" I added in various solids and the peach that I used for the "background" was one of the cross-hatching prints from Carolyn Friedlander's Architextures line of fabrics. I designed a very distinct pattern for my triangles, the smaller measuring around 5" and the large triangles measuring around 10". You can read more about the process HERE. The finished quilt measures 40" x 48" a wall hanging that I will hang in my living room.
I decided early on that I wanted to straight line quilt this one, but I wasn't sure exactly how I wanted the lines to go. In the end I decided on a "large arrow" quilt pattern and then radiating the lines from there. I used my Juki TL-2010 with the walking foot and a 40 weight white Aurifil (and a 100% cotton Pellon batting.) The lines are quilted in a pattern, 2 at 3/4" apart, then a 1/2" space. The 1/2" space falls in the center of the "arrow" triangles. I am happy with the simple quilting, it highlights the triangles but doesn't distract.
I decided to do a matched angled binding per the tutorial found at A Quilter's Table, HERE. Even though this technique really isn't hard (and creates a fantastic look) I struggled so much with this technique. I swear I worked on the binding longer than I did the whole quilt process. In the end I had messed up so much, I only had enough fabric to match the top and bottoms, and just bound the sides with the Architextures print. I did carry around the matched binding on the bottom corners, which you can see above, and I am really happy that I did, I love that little detail.
Once again, I used my trusty Heather Ross Crafty Chloe from Hancock Fabrics print as the backing. I love that print and wished I had bought more, as now I'm running low. I also am thrilled with quilts that can use a single cut of fabric for the backing, so simple and makes the whole process so much easier.
This quilt is so soft and has such a nice hand to it, thanks to the Art Gallery prints. Honestly my kids have been playing with it for the last month, so it might be time to wash it before I hang it up, which I am really eager to do, being that the "Indian Summer" is almost upon us! Thanks to Paula for hosting such a fun quilt along!
A feisty mom designing, sewing and blogging her way through everyday life!