The finished quilt measures 54" x 70" or at least it did, that is what the pattern's finished dimensions are, but of course I had to change things a bit. You see once I had the whole top together I quickly realized this thing was way bigger than I thought it would be. I think in my head I was thinking small baby quilt, but no, this one is a good throw sized quilt. While staring at the quilt top laying on the floor I had an epiphany! What about making this quilt fit my youngest bed? You see earlier this year my husband built my youngest (2.5 years old) a trundle bed that rolls underneath my older son's bed. This trundle is not intended to lift up, but rather stay low to the ground. This creates a problem when it comes to comforters and quilts, they generously pile on the ground around the trundle. Yuck. So I grabbed my measuring tape and Eureka! 54" wide perfectly covers the mattress, doesn't drag the floor and will work out just fine. My only problem is the length, it was about a foot shy of being long enough. Thankfully I had enough background fabric left over and was able to add strips to both the top and bottom, so now my quilt measures 54" x 81." I have a quilt that is "almost" a twin size.
Ok enough tooting my own horn, I did have one fail with this quilt. The pattern calls for embroidered eyes, on each of the alligators, which I did, except I didn't use a dark enough thread and I feel it is really hard to see the eyes. If I had to do it again I would use either a really dark green, or even a black so the eyes would really show up.