My lovely sister-in-law had a bag of clothes ready for Goodwill and I convinced her to give them to me instead. Most of the clothes were a size or two too large but I saved them because the fabric was nice on almost everything. This tee is made from a lovely draped neck dress that I just couldn't modify to fit me, so I decided to use the fabric from it instead.
I was able to cut out the pattern in such a way that I was able to use the existing hem on both the bottom of the shirt and the sleeves. The only issue was that the dress wasn't quite big enough at the bottom to cut out the size I measured at (18.) So I cut the top out at 18, and then graded down to a 16 at the bottom. The same happened for the sleeves, they are cut out at a 16 (at the hem) and then (kinda/sorta) graded out to an 18. Because of this I can't really call this a true muslin or a true Montlake Tee because the fit really is totally different. Though I am pleased to say that it does fit and now I know how I will cut out my next one for a perfect fit, win win!
I used my serger to put this top together and it was a breeze (less than an hour.) I struggled to get the neckline perfect and that took a few attempts but was worth the extra effort. I then used my regular sewing machine to straight stitch around the neckline just to hold the seam in place and give it that nice professional look. Since I was able to use the existing hems from the dress, that step was already finished and made the whole thing come together even faster.
So now I have met one of my three goals with the 100 day challenge hosted by Quilter in the Closet. Selfish sewing, yeah! I'll try to be back in a few days with the second selfish sewing item I completed, the Laurelhurst by Straight Stitch Designs, and just a little hint, I love it too!