I decided as soon as I started receiving my bee blocks in the mail this month to try and get them done as soon as possible as to not have them sitting here after baby comes. Lucky for me, I was able to finish all of January's blocks and get them in the mail! Woohoo! I am excited about this, and no, it doesn't take much to excite me these days!
First up is the first month in my brand new bee, Modern Blocks Bee, this block is for "fordcowgirl_85." Every block that we will be making this year comes from the 99 Modern Blocks book that I reviewed briefly a while back. I love this block and the fabric line, so pretty, and this block was really easy to whip up! This block measures 12.5" x 12.5", as do all of the blocks in this book.
This block is for "jdderrick" in the Quilting newBEES group, and is a Dutch Pinwheel Block, the tutorial can be found HERE. Another stunning block, and the fabric she provided had such a great feel to it, unfortunately my iron didn't think so, and I couldn't get those darn wrinkles out, or heck, maybe the iron made them, I don't know, sorry about that. This block measures roughly 17" x 17".
The next two blocks are for "hehehe922" in the Bee Connected group, and honestly are some of my favorite types of block to make, wonky stars. Simple enough. She asked for all sizes and shapes, so for the first I stuck with a regular 12.5" x 12.5" block, but for the second I went a little wild. I don't remember the exact size, but it was somewhere around 4" x 6" small, and I based this block loosely on the tutorial found HERE. I really like it, and think a whole quilt with these minis would be fabulous!
Last, but not least are some awesome word blocks for "Kreated by Kari" in the Always Bee Learning group. She is making a word quilt for her husband that features the Clemson Alma Mater song, and I think it will be spectacular! These blocks were challenging, but honestly a lot of fun, and now I want to make a word quilt! They measure 5.5" tall and the length varies with the word. When I opened the packet, I honestly was a little frightened with this project, but jumped right in and it didn't take long to figure out how to make them, kind of like paper piecing, but not if that makes any sense, and to me the only difficult letters were the "r" and "n" simply because they featured angles, and honestly it took my brain a while to wrap around that, simply because pregnancy brain is in full force right now! I hope Kari likes them and can't wait to see the finished quilt! Oh and why the second "s" in greatness turned out smaller, I have no idea, but I hope it adds to the charming-ness of the quilt!
A feisty mom designing, sewing and blogging her way through everyday life!