for Bee Blocks. Pure coincidence led to almost every block this month in my quilting bees to be the most complicated blocks I have ever tackled. I'm not complaining, no wait, I am, it stunk. Though on the bright side I learned a lot of new techniques, and I also learned which quilts I NEVER EVER want to make myself!
The first set was for "domestiCass" in the Christmas Fabric Bee
, and honestly these weren't hard, I've done circles quite a few times now, and I was quite pleased at how these babies turned out. These were the only ones that I would label as "quick and fun." Cassey let us decide on the decoration for the center of the white circle, so I chose to make some Christmas hexies and machine stitch them, creating a nice star in the center. Pardon the fact that I photographed that block upside down. Oops!
The second set was for "flowerbirdquilts" in the Bee Connected
group, and she requested quilt as you go log cabin blocks. Though I do love the look of the densely quilted blocks, they took SO MUCH TIME to make. Thankfully, these blocks were not complicated to put together, it just took a lot of time to quilt all those lines, though I do think it will create one stunning quilt. The fabric is sewn directly onto the batting and quilted as you go, so all Cathi has to do is connect the blocks and add the backing.
The third set was for "Kreated by Kari" in the Christmas Fabric Bee
and she requested these nice and pretty super complicated blocks. She was SO SMART to have others make these blocks for her. I can not imagine the time it would take to make an entire quilt by yourself. Don't get me wrong these blocks were very difficult to make, required a lot of brain power and reading the directions 100 times, but I loved making them. It was like a super complicated puzzle that every single side is straight. I loved the challenge, and was so excited to create such a visually appealing block. Kari was nice enough to cut all the fabric for us, so all we had to do was to sew them together. Thank you Kari, that made these blocks so much easier to tackle. I can not wait to see this finished quilt!
Lastly, the most complicated block of them all goes to the lovely "hehehe922" in the Always Bee Learning
group. I have always wanted to do a Cathedral Windows quilt, and was so excited to make this block and learn how it is done. I am so glad to have tried this technique, but it has cured me of wanting to make a quilt myself, maybe a pillow someday. Oh my goodness, the work, weight and sheer amount of fabric needed for these blocks is UNREAL, something like 35 yards of the solid color are needed to make a whole quilt. 35 YARDS! This block that I have pictured here is HUGE, and I know that you can not tell scale from my photograph, but it is somewhere around 24" x 24" and was heavy! Megan was also so smart to have others makes these blocks for her, though I can not imagine the work it is going to take to connect all these monsters together once she gets them all back. Good luck Megan!On a closing note, this month is the end of the Christmas Fabric Bee
(insert sad face here.) Though I was a late addition to this group, added because another member dropped out, I truly loved this group and this group of ladies! It was so fun creating and getting to know all of you. Thank you for welcoming me to your group, and for helping me to create my very own Christmas quilt! It was fun ladies, Thank You!