Other than a sneak peek that I gave you guys this past week, I haven't shared any of this project with anyone. Not sure why that is, but I think I honestly got so wrapped up in making it, I didn't want to stop and take pictures and blog about it. Hope you don't mind! The pattern is from my favorite designer, Anna Maria Horner, and is called Patchwork Prism
. I just love the pattern, and I just love this mini quilt that I created. My husband wants to hang it above the fireplace, which actually is a big deal since he never wants to put anything above the fireplace, and I might just let him.
I made some modifications to the pattern so that it would actually be do-able for me, and allowed me to use fabric totally from my stash (yippee!) The pattern makes a 70" ish large quilt, so I reduced the template on my copier some odd amount like 63% in order to get the template small enough to fit the triangle on a 5" charm square. You see I participated in several large rainbow charm swaps this year and have quite the collection to use, this quilt ended up being almost totally from those charms, with the small addition of some scraps from my stash. There are no duplicate prints in this quilt, with the exception of solids, which I had to duplicate, since they probably don't make that many yellow solids. The main thing that I chose to do differently with this pattern was to ignore the light, medium, and dark value fabrics, and to rather highlight the "prisms" by making them out of solid fabrics.
You can see here that I chose a rather wild floral Alexander Henry print for the back that highlights all the colors, but I do wish I had done something less crazy because alas it is near impossible to see all the quilting on the back, it is just too busy. Oh well, lesson learned. If you look closely at the photo below you can see several things. First, I chose a Lisette sateen print from JoAnn Fabrics for the binding. It is a triangle geometric print and I thought it just highlighted the colors on the edges perfectly. I love it. Second, if you look closely you will see that I chose to do both machine and hand quilting. I started machine quilting hexagons around the solid prisms, then I just went from there, radiating out, and then adding more hexagons where there were "blank" spots. This is the heaviest quilting that I have done to date, and I am quite pleased with the effect. After I was finished machine quilting, I went back and using variegated Pearl Cotton size 8, I hand quilted inside of each prism large chunky stitches.
The birds and the bees.
This wall hanging measures 24.5" x 27.5" and I added little ribbon loops to the top back in order to hang this rainbow on the wall. Sorry, I don't have any photos that show the loops, but they are hot pink and really small. I used a cotton/poly (80/20) blend batting, which seems to be the norm for me, it is what I like, so I use it! It was machine quilted with a neutral tan color that I wanted to "blend into" the quilt, which I think worked out pretty nicely, if I do say so myself!I am linking up with Sweet Diesel Designs Patchwork Prism Quilt-Along
and with Ellison Lane Quilts
Summer Sewing Contest. Be sure to stop by each of these great blogs and check out all the other fabulous entries, because I promise there are some GREAT entries!
A few "artistic" shots...